Wednesday, March 28, 2012

falling in love hook, line and sinker

I stumbled upon a love song (the Oscar Award winner "Falling Slowly" - from the Irish musical film "Once"; this one here is a cover). I cannot help but ponder on the ways some of its lines resonate with my thoughts and feelings these days. It starts with: "I don't know you but I want you all the more..."





Okay, first question: am I falling in love yet again? (giggles) Love has become such an overused/abused word that we want to take extra care with it especially in this kind of blog (don't scroll down yet...read slowly please).

Here's my answer.  No, I'm not - if you're talking about love that usually brings out warm feelings and makes my cheeks pink. Close friends of mine, are you disappointed and prepared to get bored? Wait! Yes, in fact, I am in love. No, butterflies in the stomach though. No, sleepless nights in bed and reading text messages in the dark. There's only a kind of hunger that cannot be filled by midnight snacks (read: a box of dark chocolates) or a kind of thirst that a bottle of Coke Sakto cannot quench. It's so like that first line above. What I know is too small...almost like I don't know anything at all but I want (You) all the more for that. It reminds me of "For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known...."?  (1 Cor.13:12)

Oh, this post (my first this year/season!) is now fast becoming another testimony that some of us do not really want to read because of bad timing. Love stories, however, are more often welcome anytime of the day. I have heard love stories while riding the MRT, waiting for my residence tax certificate or having my hair trimmed in a beauty salon and it's not only because I have big ears. We laugh, giggle or tease when it's love we're talking about. Sometimes, we even cry over it alone or with friend(s) plus a few bottles of beer.

Isn't life all about love? So many times, we are broken-hearted because of people rejecting us. So- this time I'm going for Love with the capital "L":

"..LOVE of which all other loves speak, the Love which is joy and beauty, and which you have sought in a thousand streets and for which you have wept and clawed your pillow.” - Thomas Howard, Christ the Tiger


Lovers may leave, relatives will soon die, friends may betray, and strangers can be cruel but there's One who stays and never leaves but this we do not easily see, taste, smell, hear and touch even if we're told we can. Some of us may argue about what our senses can tell us and if they point to the real presence of true Love - in Person.

With the musicians, now I sing: "Take this sinking boat and point it home. We've still got time..."


Many of us have found this LOVE.  Don't let Him be the one that we run away from.....  For those looking, hey.....hey....just stop for a second and breathe...really breathe, feel your heart too...why are you here? (Not on this page, silly; I'm talking about this life...this existence).  It's all because of LOVE.

2 comments:

  1. i wasn't bored reading it and it's so timely for the Lenten season. as always, your writing is superb! keep it coming momma <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. It should be, if I mean everything that I write here and I do mean it. You're very kind!

    ReplyDelete